Bright ruby in colour with a light red rim. a melange of aromas permeates the nose, showing truffles, forest floor, violets, plums and cherry. The palate is medium-bodied, reeling juicy fruit, wonderful texture, fine grained tannins and a silky finish.
Technical Tasting Sheets:
De Grendel Merlot 2018 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2017 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2016 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2015 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2014 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2013 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2012 - PDF
De Grendel Merlot 2011 - PDF
Merlot pairs well with lighter style dishes like panko-crumbed pork with mustard cream sauce or spaghetti pomodoro.
The 2018 vintage was affected by the worst drought conditions ever experienced in the Western Cape. Meticulous irrigation management supplied the precise quantity of water at the correct times to the vines. During such dry conditions diseases are restricted, resulting in the 2018 crop being entirely disease free. Furthermore, it resulted in our winemaking team having to preserve the grapes’ aromatic potential through careful viticultural practices such as limited thinning, managing nitrogen nourishment, allowing adequate plant vigour, appropriate water supply and careful selection of harvest dates.
Handpicked fruit was destalked, crushed and fermented in stainless steel tanks. The ‘aerated pumpover’ method was used to gently pump the fermenting juice over the skin cap four times a day for one hour periods at a time, ensuring soft tannins. After fermentation the wine was pressed, racked and matured in 1/3 new French Oak, 1/3 in second fill French Oak and 1/3 in third fill French Oak for 13 months.
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 90 Points
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2020 Gold
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 Top 10
- South African Wine Index 2018 Platinum
- The Sommeliers Selection 2018 - Elegant/Classy Reds
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2017 Gold
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2018 Gold
- SA Terroir Wine Awards 2016 Area Winner
- The Sommeliers Selection 2015 - Elegant/Classy Red
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2014 Gold
- South African Airways Listings 2015 Premium Class
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2015 Double Gold
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2014 Gold
- Veritas 2014 Gold
- Michelangelo Int Wine Awards 2013 Gold
- Six Nations Wine Challenge 2013 Gold
- Veritas 2013 Double Gold
- Platter’s 4 Stars
- SA Terroir Wine Awards National Certificate for Top Merlot
- Veritas Gold