Taro’s Chicken Kebabs from Isabella Niehaus' "Duinhuis" Cookbook
Taro’s special chicken recipe is served on his favourite basmati rice, served with a splash of balsamic vinegar and paired with De Grendel's Three Spades Cider.
- ½ cup smoked chili powder
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbs oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 4 chicken fillets, cubed
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- 1 handful baby spinach
- Boil the water, let it cool slightly and add to a food processor with the chili powder. Pulse until it forms a smooth, runny paste.
- Roast the garlic, skins intact and drizzled with oil, at 200°C for 5 to 10 minutes until soft. Let it cool and remove skins.
- Add the garlic and the rest of the marinade ingredients to the chili paste and pulse to a smooth puree.
- Marinade the cubed chicken fillets for 1 hour, or overnight for best results.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the chicken in batches until cooked through, but not dry.
- Stir balsamic vinegar into the cooked basmati rice.
- Flash fry the spinach leaves over high heat for 30 seconds
- Serve the chicken on a bed of basmati rice and spinach leaves; add more of the left-over marinade sauce from the pan to the chicken if desired.
- Enjoy with De Grendel Three Spades Cider.
De Grendel Three Spades Cider is available for purchase from De Grendel's Tasting Room, Restaurant and online shop here. Enjoy this recipe and share your pictures of the recipe on Instagram with the hashtag #degrendel