RECIPE: Chef Ian's Shepherd's Pie with Parmesan
This week Chef Ian Bergh shares his ultimate comfort food recipe. His shepherd's pie is a great option for a family dinner to enjoy as the ultimate comfort food. It is quick and easy to prepare, and an excellent food partner for our De Grendel Merlot.
Ingredients (For the filling)
- 500g lamb or beef mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients (For the mashed potatoes)
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 150ml milk
- 2 thick slices butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil, add the mince, crushed coriander seeds, salt and crushed black pepper and fry until browned. Remove mince mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Add a generous splash of olive oil to the same frying pan then add the onions, carrots, garlic, thyme, and rosemary and gently cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked mince back in and stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, wine, and stock. Cook over medium heat to reduce until almost cooked down.
- Stir in the peas and corn, remove from the heat, check seasoning, and add a bit more if necessary, then set aside.
- Add the potatoes to a medium-sized pot, cover with water, add 2 tsp salt, and cook over a medium heat until potatoes are tender and cooked. Strain well, return the potatoes to the pot, add the butter and milk and mash until fluffy. Add seasoning to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Add the cooked mince mixture to a greased ovenproof dish, evenly spread the mashed potato over, sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a green salad and enjoy with the De Grendel Merlot.