RECIPE: Spekboom Cucumber Relish
Not only does Spekboom help in the fight against air pollution and climate change, it is very high in basic nutrients and can be used in various recipes. Try our Spekboom cucumber relish recipe and enjoy with a glass of De Grendel Viognier.
Click here to find our more about our campaign with ReSpek Nature.
Spekboom Cucumber Relish Recipe
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 100g diced cucumber
- 50g spekboom leaves
- 50g diced white onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 3 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup white/ red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water – depending on desired consistency
- Sliced French Loaf
- ¼ cup good quality ricotta
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Place the diced cucumber, spekboom and onion in a colander with the salt, and allow to rest for 30min.
- Rinse and then gently squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a saucepan, combine the garlic, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard seeds and fennel seeds and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously.
- Once all the sugar is dissolved, lower the heat and add the cucumber, spekboom and onion and cook for 10min. Stirring continuously.
- Once the onion and spekboom are soft and cooked through, lightly mash the mixture to form a more relish consistency.
- Allow to cool completely before storing and serving.
- Serve with crisp bread and fresh ricotta. Add a drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt for an extra flavour punch.
- Enjoy with a glass of De Grendel Viognier.