RECIPE: Salmon, Citrus and Mozzarella Salad
This is an easy summer salad to be enjoyed at home while we are still blessed with warmer days. Our resident chef, Ian Bergh, created this recipe with the De Grendel Koetshuis Sauvignon Blanc 2019 in mind for optimal enjoyment.
In these surreal days of self-isolation, cooking with the family at home is something that can brighten up our days and curb the boredom. Growing your own veggies and herbs surely is another wonderful way of spending time at home. There is nothing more satisfying than planting a tiny seed, watching it grow into a fruit-bearing plant and then harvesting the spoils and cooking with it. Most of these ingredients can be purchased online depending on your location.
Salmon, Citrus and Mozzarella Salad
Ingredients (For the salad)
- 2 small portions salmon, 150g each
- 1 whole grapefruit, segmented
- 1 whole lime, segmented
- 1 whole naartjie / soft citrus, segmented
- 1 small chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 whole fluer de late mozzarella ball, shredded
- 8 asparagus spears, shaved
- 8 blackberries, 4 sliced in half, 4 kept whole
- 8 whole raspberries, 4 sliced in half, 4 kept whole
- 1 cup baby rocket
- ¼ cup mixed micro herbs
Ingredients (For the dressing)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 pinch vanilla seeds
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp picked thyme
- Start by making the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a glass jar, shake vigorously for 30 seconds or until well combined, set aside.
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat, add a splash of vegetable oil, season the salmon with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Once the oil is almost smoking, add the salmon, skin side down, and let it cook for two minutes. Turn the salmon over and cook the other side for a further two minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let the fish rest for 2 minutes. Now arrange the salmon and the rest of the salad ingredients on two serving plates equally, drizzle over 2 tbsp of the dressing and serve immediately.
This recipe serves two.
Stay happy and healthy.