Mushroom Ragu Pappardelle Recipe
Okay, so the worst has happened: It's cold outside, and you're hungrier than ever. You love a good sandwich as much as the next person, but you're craving something more comforting like pasta. This is where a warm, cozy meal comes in. Step aside sandwich; enters Mushroom Ragu Pappardelle and trusted companion, De Grendel Rubaiyat!
Ragu typically has a meat-based sauce, but this one is entirely vegetarian. That said, you won’t believe how spot-on its meaty flavours are! The secret lies in the combination of woodsy portobello mushrooms and earthy herbs. Together, these two create a masterpiece, especially when paired with the Rubaiyat.
Make this for a crowd on a weekend or whip it up in no time for a midweek dinner. The best part? Save the leftovers for a delicious lunch!
- 350g Portobello and brown mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup De Grendel Rubaiyat
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red pepper passata*
- Pinch sea salt
- 300g dried pappardelle pasta - prepared as per package instructions
- Olive oil
*Red pepper passata (Italian tomato sauce):
- 2 whole roasted red peppers
- 1 cup tomatoes of choice
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup water
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Blend the Red Pepper Passata ingredients and set aside.
- Sauté the onions in olive oil on high heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and soft.
- Add the diced mushrooms and brown for 5 min. Add the red wine and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the tomato paste, dried herbs, and salt, and cook for a few minutes. Now add the Red Pepper Passata and simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce darkens and thickens.
- Serve with cooked pappardelle, parmesan cheese, and black pepper. And enjoy with a glass of De Grendel Rubaiyat.