Marinated Leg of Lamb on the Braai with Tzatziki
We asked Chef Ian Bergh, De Grendel Restaurant's Head Chef, for his take on the perfect Braai Day recipe. He created this delicious marinated leg of lamb recipe that pairs beautifully with our De Grendel Merlot 2019. Try it on Heritage Day and let us know what you think.
For the chermoula paste
- 1 red pepper, roasted, skin and pips removed
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp dried chillies
- ½ head garlic, roasted & skins removed
- ¼ cup smoked olive oil
- 1 large bunch fresh coriander
- 1 tsp Malden salt
For the tzatziki
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup cucumber, peeled & cubed
- 2 tsp mint, chopped
- 2 tsp coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
For the rest
- 1 leg of lamb, deboned
- 1 punnet baby fennel, blanched
- 1 punnet baby gems, halved
- 1 small punnet baby rosa tomatoes, roasted
- 2 plums, stones removed, sliced
- ¼ cup De Grendel blueberries
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 red pepper, roasted, skins removed, sliced
- 1 butternut, peeled & seeds removed, sliced
- 1 head garlic, sliced in half, wrapped in foil, roasted
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup rocket
- Blend the chermoula ingredients into a paste, rub the paste into the lamb, allow to marinate for at least 2 hours. While the lamb is marinating combine the tzatziki ingredients, mix well, set aside.
- Light your fire.
- Drizzle the butternut, baby gem and fennel with olive oil, season, and braai over a medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until tender, set aside and keep warm.
- Remove the meat from the chermoula paste, braai the lamb over a high heat for about 6 minutes on each side until cooked to medium and slightly caramelised. Remove from the heat, carve the meat and combine with the rest of the ingredients on a serving dish, serve with the tzatziki.
- Enjoy with a glass of De Grendel Merlot 2019.