Chilli Con Carne with De Grendel Merlot
A family favourite, chilli con carne is a warming dish that is great for wintery nights. Lots of fresh chilli, sweet pepper and the secret ingredient – cocoa powder – gives chilli con carne it’s depth of flavour. Ideal for batch cooking, this spicy mince-based ragu can be enjoyed over nachos, in a burrito or as is with avocado guacamole, salsa and corn chips. We recommend pairing this recipe with the De Grendel Merlot.
Prep time: 30 mins / Cook time: 1 hour / Serves: 4-6
You will need:
- 500g lean beef mince
- 500g pork mince
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 400g sweet peppers, finely diced
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 2 tins whole tomatoes in tomato juice (800g)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 750ml bottle of dry red wine
- 4 red chillies, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tin of red kidney beans, drained (400g)
- 1 tin of black beans, drained (400g)
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Heat 20ml of olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed casserole. Over medium heat, fry the onion and peppers until soft and golden. Increase the heat, add the beef and pork mince and brown. Season the meat with the cayenne pepper, paprika and cocoa powder. Deglaze the base of the casserole with red wine and leave the chilli to simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, the tomato paste, the chilli and garlic and stir to combine.
Close the lid of the casserole and cook the chilli con carne in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and season to taste. Serve the chilli with guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, salsa, coriander and crunchy corn chips.
Pair with a glass of De Grendel Merlot and enjoy.