Fashion Meets Wine at the Tasting Lounge Launch
De Grendel Wine Estate presented its sophisticated new Tasting Lounge with a fashionable launch event held Thursday 22 October in collaboration with Habits Boutique.
“We envisaged a wine Tasting Lounge where guests could taste wine in a comfortable, cosy environment with an old world feel to it, with excellent service and knowledgeable staff at hand,” says Sir De Villiers Graaff, owner of De Grendel Wine Estate. “The result is a sophisticated and classically designed space by Graham Viney that reflects the DNA of De Grendel and its richly textured family history”.
The walls display trophies, artefacts and contemporary blue and white china, a family favourite. Edwardian antique furniture from the Graaff family’s collection add warmth and ambience.
Fashion maven Jenny le Roux of Habits Boutique, a close friend of the Graaff family and ambassador of the De Grendel brand, hosted the celebration, which was attended by friends and influencers from wine and fashion circles – all chauffeured in style to the farm by Auric BMW in Claremont.
As part of the launch event Jenny set winemaker Elzette du Preez a creative challenge to match the personalities of De Grendel wines with seven of her favourite outfits from the recent Fashion Week:
1) A red Oriënt-inspired coat made from emperor’s satin, over a matching dress was matched with De Grendel Rosé. “Rosé is so trendy right and very versatile – it can be dressed up and dressed down," said Elzette.
2) A champagne-coloured pleated layer dress, paired with the De Grendel MCC, “an obvious choice because of the colour and the extravagance of the design”.
3) An unusual white linen wedding dress Jenny designed with a fitted jacket was paired with De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc. Elzette explained: “Every fashion range needs at least one wedding dress; every wine range needs a Sauvignon Blanc. This wine is pure and simple, but complex at the same time.”
4) A white shirt tucked into a full, patterned and pocketed satin skirt was paired with De Grendel’s Koetshuis Sauvignon Blanc, both signalling the sophistication of simplicity.
5) Ten meters of fabric was used for a dramatic, layered black and white dress partnered with De Grendel Op die Berg Chardonnay. Elzette pointed out the many different fermentation and blending processes used to create this layered, flavourful wine.
6) A red outfit inspired by the East and Jenny’s love of kimonos, was paired with De Grendel’s flagship Rubaiyat, a blend in the Bordeaux style. “This bold red wine is a true masterpiece and makes a serious statement, just like this beautiful red design by Habits.”
7) For the finale of the fashion-with-wine matching a sexy sheer snake print dress with a plunging neckline was matched with De Grendel Noble Late Harvest, a sweet and seductive wine with a lot of fruit.
De Grendel Tasting Lounge hours
Tuesday to Saturday: 09h00 to 17h00
Sundays: 10h00 to 16h00
Closed on Mondays, Good Friday and Christmas Day
Free wine tasting for De Grendel Loyalty Club members and a guest.
De Grendel wines are available online, at the tasting room and speciality wine stores countrywide.Habits Fashion Boutique
1 Cavendish Close, Cavendish Street, Claremont