De Grendel Restaurant OPEN!
The Restaurant team is back in full swing after our annual winter break. We have had a complete make over in the kitchen and increased the size of the kitchen so that we can better service our customers - that's you. We have also addressed the issue of the air-conditioning in the main restaurant so that you will have a much more consistent ambient temperature in the dining room, and made one or two little aesthetic changes in the dining room.
With a new kitchen comes an updated menu featuring some exciting new dishes. Below are some examples of what to expect when you next dine at De Grendel, followed by a recipe for you to try at home of one of the components of the new winter dessert.
Scallop, crab, confit jalapeno, watercress, celeriac, tom yum
Duck leg confit, duck breast, crispy onion, sous vide quail egg, potato, grilled quince
Apple, cranberry, cinnamon, salted almond caramel, ginger bread ice cream
Apple and Pear Crumble Recipe:
150 grams flour
100 grams rolled oats
125 grams butter
50 grams brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
50 grams of honey
10 grams of white sugar
- Peel and dice the apples and pears
- Place the honey and sugar in saucepan with cinnamon stick and dissolve the sugar.
- On a low heat add the apples and pears and cook for 10 mins until apples and pears are soft yet still have a bite to them.
- For the crumble rub in the cold butter with the flour, oats and brown sugar to get a coarse bread crumb consistency
- Place your apple and pear mixture into a baking dish and then top with the crumble and bake at 180oc for about 20mins or until golden brown (You can use as much or as little of the crumble as you like and freeze any remaining mixture for next time)
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or some freshly whipped cream
Chef Ian and his team are currently working on creating a tasting menu that will be available to diners in the evenings and will offer a 5 course menu paired with De Grendel's beautiful wines. Details to be announced soon.