Bright ruby in colour with a light red rim. The nose offers upfront aromas of raspberry, graphite and fresh plums. The wine presents fleshy plums and currants on the palate, underpinned by earthy flavours such as tobacco and liquorice.
Due to its position in the middle of the red wine spectrum, Merlot matches with a wide variety of foods. In general Merlot pairs well with chicken and other light meats. Enjoy the De Grendel Merlot with roast chicken, a simple shepherd’s pie, or calf’s liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy.
The 2017 vintage was recognised by consistent hot and dry weather, but with no significant heat waves. Moderate to cold nights, coupled with much-needed light rain early in December, resulted in favourable growing conditions and excellent flavour concentration and acidity.
Handpicked fruit was destalked, crushed and fermented in stainless steel tanks. The ‘aerated pumpover’ method was used to gently pump the fermenting juice over the skin cap four times a day for onehour periods at a time, ensuring soft tannins. After fermentation the wine was pressed, racked and matured in 1/3 new French Oak, 1/3 in second fill French Oak and 1/3 in third fill French Oak for 13 months.
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 90 Points
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2020 Gold
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 Top 10
- South African Wine Index 2018 Platinum
- The Sommeliers Selection 2018 - Elegant/Classy Reds
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2017 Gold
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2018 Gold
- SA Terroir Wine Awards 2016 Area Winner
- The Sommeliers Selection 2015 - Elegant/Classy Red
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2014 Gold
- South African Airways Listings 2015 Premium Class
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2015 Double Gold
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2014 Gold
- Veritas 2014 Gold
- Michelangelo Int Wine Awards 2013 Gold
- Six Nations Wine Challenge 2013 Gold
- Veritas 2013 Double Gold
- Veritas 2012 Gold
- Veritas Gold
- Platter’s 4 Stars
- SA Terroir Wine Awards National Certificate for Top Merlot
- Veritas Gold