Bright ruby garnet in colour, enticing aromas of sweet red plum and raspberry fruit on the nose supersede nuances of mocha and cocoa underscored by hints of sweet tobacco leaf, before a sweet red fruit driven entry onto the palate is embraced by unobtrusive, chocolaty tannins which linger with savoury elegance and fruit. An exceptionally elegant, fruit driven wine with balanced tannin and hints of spice.
This elegant, juicy wine will pair excellently with most meats, but especially with succulent roast lamb served with sweet roasted vegetables. It really is difficult to go wrong with a good Merlot. Try it with tomato based pasta or even roast duck.
The intense dry heat of the summer months certainly kept the viticulturists on their toes as they nursed the vineyards towards ripening. This resulted in a 30% reduction of crop size at De Grendel, however – although volumes were down, the dryness facilitated surprising benefits in that the bunches were perfectly formed and disease free. Our proximity to the cold Atlantic, excellent foliage management, and the Tygerberg itself shielded the grapes from sunburn, which reduced grape quality in other regions. The resilience of the vines astounds, as they have born for us, fine fruit – smaller and more concentrated, promising excellent quality and depth of fruit in the wines.
Handpicked fruit was destalked, crushed and fermented in a stainless steel tank. The ‘aerated pump-over’ method was used to ensure soft, ripe tannins in the wine by gently pumping the fermenting juice up and over the skin-cap 4 times, for 1 hour periods. After fermentation, the skins were gently pressed at 0.9 bar. The wine was racked three times, the ensure good clarity before ⅓ of it was matured in new French oak, ⅓ in 2nd fill French oak and ⅓ in 3rd fill French oak for a period of 13 months.
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 90 Points
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2020 Gold
- Winemag Merlot Report 2020 Top 10
- South African Wine Index 2018 Platinum
- The Sommeliers Selection 2018 - Elegant/Classy Reds
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2017 Gold
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2018 Gold
- SA Terroir Wine Awards 2016 Area Winner
- The Sommeliers Selection 2015 - Elegant/Classy Red
- Vitis Vinifera Awards 2014 Gold
- South African Airways Listings 2015 Premium Class
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2015 Double Gold
- Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards 2014 Gold
- Veritas 2014 Gold
- Michelangelo Int Wine Awards 2013 Gold
- Six Nations Wine Challenge 2013 Gold
- Veritas 2013 Double Gold
- Veritas 2012 Gold
- Veritas Gold
- Platter’s 4 Stars
- SA Terroir Wine Awards National Certificate for Top Merlot
- Veritas Gold